The Wetlands Management Research and Training Center (WMRTC)
Wise use of wetlands and appropriate wetlands management has significant contribution to food and water security, poverty alleviation, sustainable social and economic development, and national security. In-depth and integrated research, raising public awareness, enhancing knowledge, understanding and expertise in wetland ecosystems and management, of personnel of all sectors at all levels, are urgent tasks, especially in the light of severe threats facing wetlands region-wide.
The Wetlands Management Research and Training Center (WMRTC) at the Faculty of Environment and Resource Studies, Mahidol University, Salaya, Nakhonpathom, Thailand, was officially established in 2005, but since the early 1990s has been committing to research, teaching, trainings, and providing technical advice on wetland ecosystems and management in Thailand and in the Asian Region .
Serve as a national and regional center for wetlands management research, trainings, information dissemination, communication, education and public awareness.
- Stimulate and facilitate interdisciplinary research on wetland ecosystems management
- Provide educational programmes and professional trainings on wetlands management
- Serve as a clearinghouse of scientific information about wetlands
- Promote and enhance wetlands management networks, and serve as a focal point to bring partnerships among wetland academics, researchers, professionals and practitioners, wetland-related agencies and organizations, into good practice
- Provide platforms for meetings, seminars, workshops, conferences, interact with the public and private sectors, community and citizen groups, and extend the knowledge base for wetlands management and policy development
Wetland Site: Ban Khun Samut Chin, Samut Prakan, Thailand